Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Commitment vs Trying

As with yesterdays post, this topic Commitment vs Trying will be a challenge to complete because I do not know where to begin but here I go. I feel that is the hurdle for me to over come: completions why I do not complete somethings and others I race happily to the end. Just where is the commitment for me and where is a Underlying Automatic Commitment (UAC) lurking in the background? I know that when I put my mind to accomplish a task I can see it to the end, but how committed is my heart? For me that is the key, where is my heart in all of this. How full of joy is my heart working on this particular task? If trying is the only level that I am operating on, there is a good chance that I will not complete the task, my heart is not being engaged and I will end up feeling some what of a failure. As I was writing this blog I also was emailing others and checking email, so you could say my heart was in emailing not writing this blog. My attention is everywhere but focusing on writing this. As I think more around what is really happening, I realize that the blog is not what I am avoiding completing, but learning Photoshop. So I can focus not finishing one task to avoid beginning another important task.

My Goals today were to write this blog and begin my Photoshop tutorial. The tutorial is 2 hours long and I know I can learn the software but can I learn enough in time to use it next week? I also have to learn Illustrator as well. So what am I doing: surfing the web. That is where I am committed now. The only other thing I have to do today is wash my hair, 1 hours tops. So I have no excuses of being able to complete this tutorial. And there is another key: excuses. I have no excuses for not being happy or more successful. I am not applying my time lovingly to complete tasks. I am able to generate excitement to others and their needs, I can now channel that same enthusiasm to myself and get to work and so I shall. Tomorrows blog will be on Enthusing and my progress in happily learning Photoshop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This entry resonated with me. I often find myself "TRYING" to do many things I think I "SHOULD" be doing. Based on what you wrote, of course I understand--my heart is not in the "shoulds" so no wonder I often feel so stuck. I had never really thought about this from this perspective. The lesson I just learned--forcing the "shoulds" can't work and it seems so important not to equate that not working with failure. If the heart is not in "it" then the shoulds will remain shoulds but once you engage with your heart (and with all the honesty that entails)--your actions become commitments.

Thank you for the wonderful insight!